Throughout your year in Room 16, we will be working hard on improving our reading skills. There are many different pieces to becoming expert readers. It's important
to know all of the skills that good readers have, so here is what we will be working on during your time with Gecko Team.
Fluency: The ability to read quickly both to yourself and outloud.
Accuracy: As you improve your reading speed, it's important to not make mistakes and read the words incorrectly.
There are 8 key comprehension strategies which we will work on this year:
- Making Connections
- Determining Importance (setting a purspose)
- Creating Images
- Using Fix-up Strategies
- Ask Questions
- Monitor Understanding
My Expectations of You...
- 30 minutes of reading every night (with someone or by yourself)
- That you know your current reading level, so you can pick "just right" books for you.
- That you understand how to use the resources in the library and how to find books quickly.
- That you are always showing respect when working in your reading partnerships and with your groups
Small Group Book Read Alouds
The 39 Clues
Percy Jackson & The Olympians
Featured 4th Grade Author(s)
Vocabulary Word Wall
Main Idea Game!
Word Jungle Game
Eye for Idioms
Newbery Award Winners
Caldecott Medal &